Saturday, September 8, 2007

I told you...stop hittin' the table!

Well, I'm pretty sure if there ever was a physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual limit to the amount you can read, I've reached it. Holy cow. I need to go run around and yell a little bit. But I'm pretty sure my body has molded into this couch in the union..which could be slightly problematic.

Disclaimer: Avid poetry fans and literature gurus, be warned.
I've discovered today that I don't like Emily Dickinson. I really just don't get her. Or, for that matter, most forms of poetry. Why do poets have to say things in the most circuitous manner? Are you sad? Just say it. I will admit that some poetry is beautiful, but words just don't do it for me, no matter how lofty the language or how well the words are intertwined.

I'd much rather go hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains...I can find beauty there. (And seriously, anyone want to go the mountains? That'd be pretty beast. Just leave Dickinson at home.)

I think the pool is calling my name, but first, some advice.

-I'm going to have to second Catherine and tell you to avoid "Deliverance" like the plague.
-The little store in the Union doesn't have fresh Dunkin' Doughnuts on Saturday mornings. The ones you see are from Friday. I'm not sure why I expected them to be fresh. Just go with something else.
-Go get some spandex and wear it around all the time. Don't hate until you've tride (yep, that's really how I just spelled "tried"...it's time for me to go) it.

Catherine,
Thanks for sticking by my side-
Our frustration we cannot hide.
But now I hope that you'll soon say,
Let's save this jank for another day!
Love,
Kathryn

2 comments:

Abby said...

This is ironic. For all of your protestations against the glories of poetry, you rather have the makings of a poet yourself. Molding yourself into a couch? Glorious! "Circuitous"? Brilliant. Dickinson and you would be fast friends, I'm sure. And then you would feel bad about not liking her. (Which you should, regardless, since she is America's premiere female poet.)

YES. Let's GO to the MOUNTAINS. But take Dickinson with us, because she knows

There's a certain Slant of light
On Winter afternoons...

Liz Hundley said...

Kathryn! I'm sorry about your ankle!! And now you + Catherine are on my blog too :o)

Let's be friends, please.